Round Two – Freestone MX (Wortham, TX) 5/26/12
The AMA Pro Motocross Championships headed to the heart of Texas for Round 2 at Freestone County Raceway in Wortham, Texas for heated racing and hot temperatures. Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett put in two strong rides to finish second overall with a 2-2 moto score and retains the red plate signifying his points lead.
After going 1-1 last weekend at the season opener, Baggett felt confident coming into Freestone and knew that not even the heat could stop him from being up front. In the first moto, Baggett came around the first corner just outside the top-10 and slowly started picking off riders. By the halfway point, he had made his way into the top-five and was holding nothing back. One of the only riders to use the wall obstacle as a jump, Baggett launched his KX™250F into the sand whoops each lap, jumping over second place to claim the position. In Moto 2 he got shuffled back in the first turn and again started making his way to the front. Unable to air out the wall jump, Baggett started making up time elsewhere and was able to secure second place on the final lap. His 2-2 moto score allowed him to maintain the points lead and will continue sporting the red plate.
“It was a gnarly hot day,” said Baggett. “I’m happy I was able to salvage a 2-2 considering my starts. There was a lot of carnage that second moto, so I’m glad I made it out and was able to withstand the heat. We’re leaving with the points lead and hopefully I can keep the red plate for the next 10 rounds.”
After tackling the heat this weekend, the AMA Pro Motocross Championship heads to the high elevation of Thunder Valley Raceway in Lakewood, Colo., where riders will have to overcome yet another challenge, the altitude.
250 Class Points Standings
1. BLAKE BAGGETT, GRAND TERRACE, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 94
2. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 80
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 79
4. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda, 76
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 55
6. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 52
7. Wil Hahn, Wichita, Kan., Honda, 46
8. Kyle Cunningham Aledo, Texas, Yamaha, 42
9. IVAN TEDESCO, MURRIETA, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 41
10. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda, 41