Round Four – High Point MX (Mount Morris, PA) 6/9/12
Most anticipated a wet weekend in Mt. Morris, Pa., but Saturday turned out to be perfect racing conditions for Round 4 of the AMA Pro Motocross Championship at High Point Raceway.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett finished third in the first moto and fifth in the second moto for fourth overall.
One year ago Baggett had a stand out ride at High Point and as the current points leader, he was looking to repeat the performance. In moto one, he started just outside the top-10 and began making moves towards the front. By the halfway point Baggett had made it into the top-five and with 10 minutes remaining, he put on a charge. In the last few laps, Baggett was able to close in and pass two more riders to finish third. For the second moto, Baggett got a great start on his KX™250F. He made his way as high as second before losing the front end and dropping back to fourth. With time remaining, Baggett tried to put on a charge, but would fall short and finish fourth overall on the day. He remains the points leader and will continue to run the red-plate next weekend.
“I was feeling good for the second moto,” said Baggett. “I got third in the first moto and got a good start second moto, I got into second and started to gap the guys behind me a bit until I threw it on the ground. I got up and put on a charge, but then had a big get-off and bent my bike up. I salvaged fifth that moto and fourth on the day, so it could have been worse. The track was really dry which made it hard to pass or try anything. “
With a third of the rounds completed of the AMA Pro Motocross Championship, riders are past the point of testing the waters and are ready to battle for every position. The battle continues at Round 5 at Budds Creek MX in Mechanicsville, Md., on June 16, 2012.
250 Class Points Standings
1. BLAKE BAGGETT, GRAND TERRACE, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 175
2. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda, 168
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 164
4. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 158
5. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 117
6. Wil Hahn, Wichita, Kansas, Honda, 101
7. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 87
8. IVAN TEDESCO, ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 86
9. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha, 86
10. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki, 77